World Cancer Day
Cancer is when abnormal cells grow uncontrollably. It is a large group of diseases that can start in almost any organ in the human body.
Since the year 2000, February 4th has been recognized for acknowledging the fight and increasing the awareness of people against Cancer. A little sojourn across our society and nation has shown that annually, over 72,000 deaths and more than 102,000 new cases are diagnosed and reported respectively. Insincerity, these figures could be more in coming years judging that lifestyles and standards of living have elucidated cancers or different organs of the body.
Facts about Cancer.
Over 10 million people die from cancer every year, but the good news is that at least one-third of common cancer is preventable.
Some common cancers include:
- Breast cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Lung cancer
- Colon cancer
- Skin cancer
- Blood cancer
- Ovarian cancer
The risk factors for cancer include:
- Family history
- Heavy alcohol intake
- Excess body weight
- Physical inactivity
- Poor nutrition
- Multiple sexual partners
Some cancer show early symptoms like:
- Drastic weight loss
- Neurological problems
- Skin changes
- Bowel changes like diarrhoea/Constipation
- Passing blood in urine etc.
The unpreventable risk factors are:
- Family history/Gene (inherited genetic mutation)
- Age (more in older people), although some occur in younger people.
- Frequent medical check-up
- Routine screening tests
- Lifestyle modifications like exercise
- Healthy dieting/dietary modifications
Treatment with a complete resolution is possible with some cancers when there is early detection…
EARLY DETECTION saves a life. Visit our diagnostic centres for your screening today.
Immunology cancer/tumour makers, we offer the following test for diagnosis, monitoring of therapy and recurrence in our Laboratory;
- Total PSA- for prostate cancer screening, monitoring therapy and recurrence(R)
- CA 125- monitoring therapy MT) in Ovarian cancer
- CA 15-3 – MT for breast cancer and R.
- CA 19-9 MT and R in pancreatic cancer.
- Alpha Feto protein (AFP) – MT and R in Liver cancer
- Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) – MT and R in colorectal cancer
For a comprehensive Medical Screening, visit us at;
Abuja centre: 2 Fez Street, Off Kumasi Crescent Wuse 2, Abuja
Imo centre: 20 Bank Road, opposite garden park, Owerri, Imo state
Lagos centre: 86 Olojo Drive, Everight bus-stop, by Ojo police station, Ojo, Lagos